outside 1.jpg
MayDaySchool1923.jpg
villge hall 4.jpg
tapsel_jevington.jpg
JevingtonSchoolBand1879.jpg
Church big file.jpg
Pub big.jpg
VE day [15032678].jpg
outside 1.jpg

Intro


Jevington
Village Hall


NEWS AUGUST/SEPTEMBER 2018

Three Jevington Artists Open Their Studios for Art Wave:  

18 Aug – 2 Sep 2018

Original work and limited edition prints by Catherine Chambers, Charlotte Matthews, Lis Lawrence and invited artists

Venues 62, 63 and 64. Check brochure or visit artwavefestival.org for opening days and times. All welcome 

https://www.artwavefestival.org/rural-trail/ 

And Village Fun Produce Show at the Hall on September 8th - See Residents page. 

The original Victorian Village School, now a listed building, based in the historic village of Jevington in the South Downs National Park above Eastbourne.

Following on from the Village Hall Access survey, the Trustees of the Village Hall Trust have put together a detailed plan for new disabled and vehicular access and parking and the provision of disabled facilities - designed to secure the future of the Village Hall at the heart of our community.

The planning application is now with the South Downs National Park and can be viewed at

http://planningpublicaccess.southdowns.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=P1DGRJTUGWK00

The Hall is still available to hire in 2018 as we will have a lengthy period of fund raising after we obtain planning permission.  

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE INFORMATION

 

SCROLL DOWN

Intro


Jevington
Village Hall


NEWS AUGUST/SEPTEMBER 2018

Three Jevington Artists Open Their Studios for Art Wave:  

18 Aug – 2 Sep 2018

Original work and limited edition prints by Catherine Chambers, Charlotte Matthews, Lis Lawrence and invited artists

Venues 62, 63 and 64. Check brochure or visit artwavefestival.org for opening days and times. All welcome 

https://www.artwavefestival.org/rural-trail/ 

And Village Fun Produce Show at the Hall on September 8th - See Residents page. 

The original Victorian Village School, now a listed building, based in the historic village of Jevington in the South Downs National Park above Eastbourne.

Following on from the Village Hall Access survey, the Trustees of the Village Hall Trust have put together a detailed plan for new disabled and vehicular access and parking and the provision of disabled facilities - designed to secure the future of the Village Hall at the heart of our community.

The planning application is now with the South Downs National Park and can be viewed at

http://planningpublicaccess.southdowns.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=P1DGRJTUGWK00

The Hall is still available to hire in 2018 as we will have a lengthy period of fund raising after we obtain planning permission.  

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE INFORMATION

 

 

HISTORY
On 31st December 1846 William Cavendish Earl of Burlington and heir to the Duke of Devonshire conveyed land in Jevington to the rector and churchwardens for a site for a school and schoolhouse. Before this the parish clerk held a small school in the Saxon tower of the parish church. A small school was built high on a bank beside the main street and opened 6 June 1847.

In 1872 it was enlarged to accommodate 80 children from the parish including those at Filching and Wannock.  By 1926 there were too few children attending and the Minister for Education closed the school on 7 January 1927. The building was later used as a Post Office and is now the Village Hall. (source: http://www.sussex-opc.org/ParishDetails/EastSussex/Jevington/JevingtonSchool.htm)

Today the Village Hall is at the center of the village, high on the downs in the South Downs National Park. It is positioned close to the South Downs Way above Eastbourne in East Sussex.

The Hall offers a large open room, kitchen, toilet, flexible modern lighting, piano and garden. It is regularly booked as a refreshment stop for organised events on the South Downs Way as well as for dinners, parties, classes, exhibitions and social events.

 
MayDaySchool1923.jpg

Story


Rooted in the
South Downs

 

School May Day Celebrations - 1923
Each year the children at the school celebrated May Day with a ceremony of crowning the May Queen and dancing round the Maypole. They picked flowers from the surrounding downs to make garlands.

Here the whole school is pictured on May Day 1923, three years before the small village school closed.  Christobel Cuthbert is the May Queen and sitting in front of her is Robert Newson three year old son of the school mistress Florence Newson. 

Florence, a widow, was the last school teacher at Jevington School and emigrated to Australia with her son a few years later.

 

Story


Rooted in the
South Downs

 

School May Day Celebrations - 1923
Each year the children at the school celebrated May Day with a ceremony of crowning the May Queen and dancing round the Maypole. They picked flowers from the surrounding downs to make garlands.

Here the whole school is pictured on May Day 1923, three years before the small village school closed.  Christobel Cuthbert is the May Queen and sitting in front of her is Robert Newson three year old son of the school mistress Florence Newson. 

Florence, a widow, was the last school teacher at Jevington School and emigrated to Australia with her son a few years later.

 

villge hall 4.jpg

The Hall


The Hall


The Hall is an attractive and versatile venue ideal for any social or business occasion, accommodating up to 100 people standing or 50 people seated. 

Please visit our booking page for more information on booking the Village Hall.

tapsel_jevington.jpg

Tapsell Gate


Tapsell Gate
Situated on the path between the church and the village hall, these gates are unique to Sussex churches and only six still remain - three in the neighbouring downland parishes of Jevington, East Dean and Friston. It was adopted as the official logo of Willingdon & Jevington Parish Council in 2000.

Tapsell Gate


Tapsell Gate
Situated on the path between the church and the village hall, these gates are unique to Sussex churches and only six still remain - three in the neighbouring downland parishes of Jevington, East Dean and Friston. It was adopted as the official logo of Willingdon & Jevington Parish Council in 2000.

JevingtonSchoolBand1879.jpg

Jevington School Band


 

Jevington School Band

Thomas Dimmer Schoolmaster 1873-1882 formed a Fife and Drum Band in 1877.  He is pictured here with the boys in their smart scarlet and black uniforms. They wore red sashes and peaked caps with a red rosette and button on the top. Twice a week Mr Dimmer marched them four a breast up the main street village. They were successful in winning several local competitions.

Today the historic Jevington Village offers a 300 year old pub, The Eight Bells, along with the lovely flint built St Andrews Church, a tea room, several cottages for rent and homes offering Bed & Breakfast

Jevington School Band


 

Jevington School Band

Thomas Dimmer Schoolmaster 1873-1882 formed a Fife and Drum Band in 1877.  He is pictured here with the boys in their smart scarlet and black uniforms. They wore red sashes and peaked caps with a red rosette and button on the top. Twice a week Mr Dimmer marched them four a breast up the main street village. They were successful in winning several local competitions.

Today the historic Jevington Village offers a 300 year old pub, The Eight Bells, along with the lovely flint built St Andrews Church, a tea room, several cottages for rent and homes offering Bed & Breakfast

Church big file.jpg

St Andrews Church


St Andrews Church A listed Saxon Church and popular wedding venue

The Church originally had four bells in the Saxon tower, now there are two (one dates back to around 1470 - and is still held in its original medieval frame). The fate of the two missing bells in unknown, but they were sold by the village, as the rhyme says:

"Jevington folk are very proud people. They sold their bells to mend their steeple. And before they are left in the lurch, they would sell their steeple to mend their church".

St Andrews Church


St Andrews Church A listed Saxon Church and popular wedding venue

The Church originally had four bells in the Saxon tower, now there are two (one dates back to around 1470 - and is still held in its original medieval frame). The fate of the two missing bells in unknown, but they were sold by the village, as the rhyme says:

"Jevington folk are very proud people. They sold their bells to mend their steeple. And before they are left in the lurch, they would sell their steeple to mend their church".

Pub big.jpg

Eight Bells


The Eight BellsA 300 year old pub at the heart of the village.

Eight Bells


The Eight BellsA 300 year old pub at the heart of the village.

VE day [15032678].jpg

VE day


VE day


The children of the village celebrating VE Day in 1945. Jevington Village Hall has been part of the history of the village for over 150 years, and we hope for many centuries to come.